Mrs. Woods' Guide to Sources of Native Seeds, Trees and Plants.
• Allendan Seed - 1966 175th Ln, Winterset, IA 50273-8500 - (515) 462-1241 - (seeds, plants, consulting, custom planting, landscaping)
• Bluestem Prairie Nursery - RR2, Hillsboro, IL 62049 - (217) 532-6344 - (plants, seeds, consulting)
• Broad View Wildflower Seed - 428 Hamilton Ave., Grinnell, Iowa 50112. Online store offering seed packets containing up to 27 species of wildflowers native to the Iowa and Illinois prairie region.
• Cedar Hill Natives - Stillwater, MN - (651) 252-7598 (Nursery-propagated wildflowers and grasses native to Minnesota and Wisconsin for prairie and woodland home landscapes, rain gardens, and shoreline restorations. Also offer design and maintenance services for rain gardens.)
• Consumer Directory of Minnesota Native Wildflower/Grass Producers Association - 1740 Industrial Drive, Blue Earth, MN 56013 - (507) 526-3049
• Critical Connections Ecological Services, Inc. - 14760 Oakhill Road, Scandia, MN 55073 - (651) 433-4410 - (consulting)
• Earthskin Nursery - 9331 N. CR 3800E, Mason City, IL 62664 - (217) 482-3524 - (consulting, local ecotype seeds and wholesale and retail seedlings of prairie species of the Grand Prairie)
• Edford Holt Native Seed - 11478 US Hwy 6, Geneseo, IL 61254 - (309) 945-8855 - (seed)
• Everwilde Farms, Inc. - (715) 568-1919 (seeds, restoration, consulting)
• Frey Prairie Seeds - Box 104, Dahlgran, IL 62828 - (618) 648-2216 - (consulting, grass seeds, and forb seeds from southern till plain of Illinois)
• Fromm-Huff Farm - 10998 Salisbury Road, Pleasant Plains, IL 62677 - (217) 626-1583 or 626-1690 - (wholesale for plants, retail in quantities 100+)
• Genesis Nursery - email@example.com - 877-817-5325. 23200 Hurd Rd., Tampico, IL 61283. A wholesale supplier of native seeds and plants modeled on northern Illinois plant communities, including upland prairies, wet prairies, and savannas. Plants and seeds also available for detention ponds, urban disturbed wetlands and for erosion control on stream banks.
• Green Dragon Prairie Seed Co. - P.O. Box 345, Galesville, WI 54630 - (605) 582-4355 - (seeds)
• Grow Native - Missouri Department of Agriculture - PO Box 630, Jefferson City, MO 65102 - (573) 522-4171 or (573) 522-4170 - (plants, consulting, business services)
• Horak's Landscape Nursery - Trees, shrubs, and evergreens. Selections include many native species - 1354 Curtis Bridge Road NE, Swisher, IA 52338 - 319-848-7222.
• Ion Exchange - Old Mission Drive, Harpers Ferry, IA 52146 - (319) 535-7231 - (seeds, plants, consulting, limited custom planting)
• JFNew - 128 Sunset Drive Walkerton, IN 46574 - (574) 586-2412 - (seed, plants, consulting, restoration services)
• Kinnickinnic Natives - 235 State Road 65, River Falls, WI 54022 - (715) 425-7605 - (plants)
• Lafayette Home Nursery, Inc. - P.O. Box 1A - Lafayette, IL 61449 - (309) 995-3311 - (plants, seeds, consulting, custom planting)
• Landscape Alternatives, Inc. - 25316 St. Croix Trail, Shafer, MN 55074 (651) 257-4460 - (nursery grown native wildflowers, grasses and other low maintenance perennials)
• Midwest Prairies LLC - 10651 N. Charley Bluff Rd., Milton, WI 53563 - (608) 868-3169 (woodland, prairie & habitat restoration in Southeast Wisconsin).
• Minnesota Native Landscapes - 14088 Hwy 95 NE, Foley, MN 56329 - (320) 968-4222 - (native seed, plants, planting, restoration, maintenance)
• Naturally Native Nusery - 13737 St. Rt. 582, Bowling Green, OH 43402 - (419) 833 2020 - (Native plant nursery carrying over 200 species of grasses, forbs, shrubs, trees and vines for Upper Midwest. Seeds, plugs, pots and larger specimen plants. Wholesale and retail. Consulting and landscaping services. Natural area restoration)
• Ohio Prairie Nursery - P.O. Box 174, Hiram, OH 44234 - (866) 569-3380 - (Seed of native prairie and wetland species for dry, mesic, and wet areas. Consulting and support services) E-Mail - firstname.lastname@example.org.• Other sources of native seeds and plants - For Iowa, go to Tallgrass Prairie Website at: http://www.uni.edu/ecotype/index.swf Here you'll find a listing of Iowa growers of source-identified seed.
• Other state listings are available at the following sites -Michigan Native Plant Producers Association http://www.mnppa.org/Missouri Native Seed Association http://monativeseed.org/Home_Page.html Minnesota Native Wildflower/Grass Producers Association. http://www.mnnwgpa.org/
• PecaSugar Nursery - 13002 Harrison Road - P.O. Box 22 , Shirland, IL 61079 - (815) 629-2165
• Pizzo and Associates, Ltd. - 10729 Pine Road Leland, Illinois 60531 - Phone (815)495-2300 (Supplier of Chicago region sourced seeds and plants. Provides natural area design, installation, and stewardship)
• Pizzo Native Plant Nursery - 10729 Pine Road Leland, Illinois 60531 - Phone (815) 826 0566 (Wholesale nursery serving the greater Midwest region with local ecotype seed and over 285 species of plugs) http://pizzo.info/nursery
• Prairie Nursery - P.O. Box 306, Westfield, WI 53964 - (608) 296-3679 - (native seeds and plants, consulting, custom planting and maintenance)
• Prairie Meadows Native Seed -10850 Echo Avenue, Lonsdale, MN 55046 - (651) 214-2357 - (seed)
• Prairie Moon Nursery - Box 163 , Winona, MN 55987 - (507) 452-1362 - (bare root plants, seeds, consulting, customized seed mixes)
• Prairie Restorations, Inc. - 31922 128th Street, Princeton, MN 55371 - (612) 389-4342 - (native prairie grass, forb, and wetland seed and rootstock)
• Prairie Restorations - 766 Bateman Street, Galesburg, IL 61491 - (309) 343-2608 - (seeds, consulting, custom planting)
• Prairie Ridge Nursery - 9738 Overland Road, Mt. Horeb, WI 53572 - (608) 437-5245 - (plants, seed, consulting, custom planting and maintenance)
• Prairie Works - P.O. Box 6623, Galena, IL 61036 - (815) 751-7400 - (landscaping, restoration)
• Red Buffalo Nursery - Hebron, IL - (815) 648-4838 (Supplies native plants common to northeastern Illinois and southeastern Wisconsin. Also provides landscaping and natural area restoration services.)
• Shoestring Acres Seed - P.O. Box 6614, Lincoln, NE 68506 - (402)327-2532 - (seed)
• Shooting Star Native Seeds - 20679 County Road 33, Spring Grove, MN 55974 - (507) 498-3944 - (seed production and mixes, custom planting and maintenance)
• Tallgrass Group - 2350 N. Arlington Heights Rd., Suite 100, Arlington Heights, IL 60004 - (847) 342-8020 - (restoration, planting, consulting)
• Taylor Creek Restoration Nurseries - 17921 Smith Road, Brodhead, WI 53520 - (608) 897-8641 - (seeds, plants, consulting, custom planting)
• The Natural Garden - 38W443 Hwy 64, St Charles, IL 60175 - (seeds, plants, consulting, custom planting)
• The Prairie Flower LLC - 1765 120th Street, Spencer, IA 51301 - (712) 262-5864 - (seeds, plants, local ecotype seed, consulting, planting)
• The Prairie Patch - Box 41, Niantic, IL 62551 - (217) 668-2409 - (plants, seed, consulting, custom planting)
• Turpin Farms - 3295 Turpin Lane, Cincinnati, Ohio 45244 - (513) 561-1547 - (plants)
• Wisconsin Native Plant Sources and Restoration Consultants - http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/wm/dsfm/shore/documents/nativeplants.pdf
This online booklet prepared by the Wisconsin DNR would help anyone living in Wisconsin or adjacent states get moving on a restoration project. Its directory not only lists sources of seed and plants, but also the people who can give you advice on using them. The directory includes some providers from Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. Another section goes into the basics of restoring prairies, forests, wetlands and shorelines. The directory was first published in 2003.
Want to share your link with us? Send them to me at email@example.com
Midwest Woodlands & Prairies is published four times a year by Wood River Communications.
© by Wood River Communications. Reproduction prohibited without written consent